Saturday, March 8, 2008

My shack

This is a photo of my shack taken in the middle of January, 2008.
I just bought a brand new house last June, and one of the rooms on the 2nd floor has been occupied as my shack :-) My wife agreed that I would use this best room with a large balcony until my 3-year-old daughter becomes in need of a private room (maybe 16 years old after she is graduated from a junior high school). I still have more than 10 years left of the 'official right' to occupy here for my dairy shortwave listening activities, though :-) Maybe I should have bought a larger house with more rooms, so that I would have had the permanent shack just exclusive for me :-(
Anyhow -
At this moment, ONLY four (4) tabletop receivers are sitting on a big desk. This American-size manager desk was purchased when I was in Atlanta several years ago and brought back to Japan with me. It is not easy for us to find this kind of big desk (especially with the deep depth) here in Japan - and as you can see, this is just ideal size for putting several receivers and a desktop PC due to the sufficient depth.
RX-340 of Ten-Tec, AR7030PLUS of AOR, and NRD525 / 545 of JRC are the main receivers in use for my monitoring. I own a lot more and they are sitting on the cabinet but there are too many to be used all the time. I sometimes change the layout of my shack and replace some of them with different ones.
These four (4) receivers are all connected with the latest version of the ALA-1530S+. This active antenna is, of course, intended for an outside use - but I still hesitate to set it up outside of my house. I am satisfied with the performance of this antenna even in an inside use. I added a pole with a base to this antenna, and this allows me to rotate the ring manually to obtain the best angle. This is one of the reasons to use it in my shack.
There are so much other things to mention about my shack - but that's it for today :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jack:

I would like to know if this antenna it is noiser than the 1530+ since I would like to buy one.Thank you.

My mail: enriqueeeeee2001@yahoo.es

JACK said...

Thank you for leaving a message :-)

I believe what you would like to know is if ALA-1530S+ is really worthy enough to buy.

Well, you know how expensive this simple-looking loop antenna is - and it is quite natural that you hesitate to invest a lot of money for what you cannot fully be confident with the result.

I also cannot guarantee if this antenna will bring a good result to you - as your environment (or location) is different from mine. However, as long as I have been using this antenna for 6 months at my location, I am so satisfied with the result - and I can pay even 'double' of the current price with this quality.

I definitely recommend you to get one for you :-)

By the way, where are you located? Is there any distributor (of this antenna) in your country? I purchased mine through one of the distributors in Tokyo, as they offered one year limited warranty. I did not want to work with the overseas manufacturer directly if some problem ever happen. This is also one of the important factors you should consider.